Ashanti Hospice became licensed and began caring for clients. The program was accredited by the Joint Commission in 2010 and is both Medicare and Medicaid certified.
Timeline Post Type Description
Sunset Village officially opened on December 31, 2001, when the first two residents moved in. Licensing followed in January of 2002 and 27 residents from Sunset Hall, the nursing area of Sunset House, moved west to their new home. The Woodlands, Sunset House’s independent living community, officially opened on..Read More
The board decided to move forward with a project that included securing land for a second campus – what is now Otterbein Sunset Village – and adding independent housing on the current campus – what we know today as The Woodlands. Renovations to the current campus would occur after construction..Read More
After consultation with gerontology experts from the University of Michigan, a new nursing annex with 24 beds was added – what would become Sunset Court.
During the war, the home continued to serve women in the Toledo area (men and couples would not live in the home until 2001). The residents stayed involved in knitting, riding in patriotic parades, and sewing for needy children in countries affected by the war.
With the founding of the YWCA in 1870, which was only a few years after the end of the Civil War, the first president took into her home one lady and sent two to a boarding house…the three having “sorrowful stories.” Because of the need, a “Home for Friendless Women..Read More
Sunset House and Sunset Village become affiliated with Otterbein SeniorLife, with updated names to match: Sunset House became Otterbein Sunset House The Woodlands became The Woodlands at Otterbein Sunset House Ashanti Hospice became Otterbein Ashanti Hospice Sunset Village became Otterbein Sunset Village Fieldstone Villas became The Fieldstone Villas at..Read More
In 2005, Sunset Village became an Eden registered home, and in 2007, Sunset House became an Eden registered home. The Eden Alternative® philosophy views aging with a positive mindset and encourages growth, learning, well-being, and collaboration among residents and staff.
Renovation of the present Manor building began in late spring of 1986 followed by the same for the nursing annex (Sunset Court), which became a new assisted living unit. The residents were moved from the Manor building into the new 48-bed nursing center while the Manor building was renovated. Much..Read More
By 1928, the time had come to consider a new building. Ten acres of land on Indian Road were purchased. Through the generous response to the fundraising campaign, the present home (far out in the country at that time) was built and first occupied in 1930.