Small House. Big Difference.
How our skilled nursing and rehab small house neighborhoods are making care safer for everyone during COVID-19.
Statistics show that smaller long-term care settings are safer for residents during COVID-19. At Otterbein SeniorLife, our small house neighborhoods are taking every step to keep residents safe and healthy.
Learn more about our commitment to health and safety at our small house neighborhoods and see how they’re different from traditional nursing homes.
"...during the pandemic, Green House homes have been one-fifth as likely to have cases of COVID-19 as traditional nursing homes."
"The [Green House] model has been praised by academics and doctors and seems far better suited than traditional facilities to stave off the spread of infection and the isolation that has devastated the elderly in recent months."
"Although the coronavirus has ravaged many long-term care facilities, small group homes are seeing success in minimizing effects of the virus."
"A June  report showed that 95% of Green House facilities had stayed COVID-19-free between early February and late May."
Otterbein’s Big Difference
Here’s what sets us apart:
- Our model, with 10 elders and dedicated partners in each house, means the spread of COVID-19 can be controlled dramatically better than in large, institutional nursing home environments.
- We test and re-test residents and partners weekly under normal circumstances, and more frequently should a positive case arise. A partnership with a private laboratory provides results in less than 3 days.
- We’ve gradually, and safely, opened up outdoor visitation options at each location when permitted. And we help organize video or phone calls for each resident to stay connected with friends and family on their schedule.
The Small House Model: A Safer Approach
Otterbein Small House Neighborhoods were built on the Green House model, a way of senior living that completely revolutionized traditional nursing care. Emphasis is on choice for our residents – called elders – in how they want to plan their days, what they want to do, and more.
- Private rooms with bathrooms for better social distancing
- Open family room and kitchen
- Access to secure outdoor area
- Choice of when and what to eat
- 24/7 small team of nursing staff
Marsha J., Daughter of LTC Elder at Otterbein Middletown
Jill H., Otterbein Small House Elder
Helen A., Otterbein Small House Elder
Nicole Bussard, family member of an Otterbein Small House elder
Mickie Sizemore, family member of an Otterbein Small House elder
Small Houses Vs. Traditional Nursing homes
Download your free guide to compare what our small houses include that you won’t find anywhere else.
What Are We Doing During COVID-19?
Get a closer look at how we’re making life safe and meaningful for our elders during this time.