Otterbein SeniorLife St. Marys
11230 State Route 364
St. Marys, Ohio 45885
Directions Main: (419) 394-2366
Independent Living: (419) 394-6184
Assisted Living: (419) 394-6227
Long or Short Term Nursing: (419) 394-6227
Life at Otterbein St. Marys
Life at Otterbein St. Marys means lakeside living. Excellently located for an on-the-go life in northwest Ohio, our campus sits on the shore of Ohio’s largest inland lake near the city of St. Marys.
From the moment you arrive on campus, you’ll hear the lake water lapping at the shore and the birds singing overhead. Life at this CCRC (continuing care retirement community) is like a vacation home for every stage of your life.
We have waterfront ranch-style homes, apartments, assisted living, and nursing care, with amenities such as events in our community room and the Life Enrichment Center with its warm-water pool. Take a ride on the campus shuttle and experience life at Otterbein St. Marys.
Whether you want to relax and enjoy the sunset or take a boat ride, there’s always something for you to do at our St. Marys community.
What does Independent Living at Otterbein look like?
Get a look at our campus and explore our senior independent living options, including apartments, patio homes, luxury waterfront homes, and more.
We offer a range of choices in independent living with plenty of living space, including:
- Studio, 1-, and 2-bedroom apartments
- Studio, 1-, 2-, and 3-bedroom patio and ranch homes
- Large, luxury waterfront homes
Types of Services at Otterbein St. Marys
Our services at Otterbein St. Marys include:
- Wellness checks, screening, and support for independent senior living residents
- Independent living for those who can live without assistance or support, but want the peace of mind of being at a retirement community where care is available if needed
- Assisted living for individuals who need regular help with some of the activities of daily living (bathing, dressing, grooming, etc.)
- Skilled nursing/long-term care for individuals who need round-the-clock medical care
- Post-acute care and rehabilitation for individuals who need short-term care and/or therapy after a surgery, unexpected injury, or illness
- Memory care program for individuals with dementia and/or Alzheimer’s disease who need regular assistance and care
- Respite care for families and/or caregivers who need to arrange for temporary care for a loved one
Life enrichment is another focus at Otterbein St. Marys, so every resident works with a counselor to create a personal development plan for their physical, spiritual, intellectual, social, emotional, and vocational well-being.
Living on the lake has its perks. While at Otterbein St. Marys, you will find yourself among friends who enjoy taking in the beautiful surroundings, playing shuffleboard, or even fishing from a pontoon exclusively for residents’ use.
Otterbein St. Marys is designed for active lifestyles and has a vibrant social scene. Our amenities include:
- Indoor warm-water therapy pool and outdoor pool
- Fitness center (with YMCA programming)
- Crafting center
- Beauty and barber shop
- Common areas for events, entertainment, and fellowship
- On-campus restaurant
- On-site church services
There’s also the nearby Grand Lake St. Marys State Park, which features trails and amenities all its own, in addition to three lighthouses.
With convenient transportation options, it’s easy to get out and about if you want to attend symphony concerts, festivals, or visit historic sites filled with stories of America’s rough and ready past. If you just need a ride to the campus center for one of its special programs, lectures, parties and entertainment, or movies, you get picked up and dropped off right at your doorstep.
Bud & Barb
Sisters Sandy and Judy
Explore Available Floor Plans
Is Otterbein St. Marys a Good Financial Fit for You?
Answer seven simple questions to see if Otterbein St. Marys SeniorLife Community is an affordable option for you. Our financial calculator, powered by MyLifeSite, will give you a preliminary overview of affordability for independent living in our continuing care retirement community.
Frequently Asked Questions
Where is Otterbein St. Marys located?
Otterbein St. Marys is located in Auglaize County in northwest Ohio in the city of St. Marys. St. Marys is approximately 29 miles from Lima, Ohio, and 63 miles from Dayton, Ohio.
How much does it cost to live at Otterbein St. Marys?
In most cases, living at Otterbein is no more expensive than the cumulative costs of living at your current residence. The service fees vary based on the size of your home or apartment, type of residence, location on campus, and contract option.
You can use this free cost comparison guide to compare your current costs of living to the many included costs of living at Otterbein St. Marys.
You can also get a quick preliminary look at whether Otterbein St. Marys fits your budget with our free MoneyGauge calculator tool.
Is it really safe to move to a retirement community now?
Everyone's comfort level is different, so the final choice is always up to you. But know that we're doing everything we can to keep our residents safe and healthy during this time. You can read more about our plan here.
On top of safety precautions, there are some benefits to living at a retirement community during this time:
- The majority of our partners are vaccinated and those who are unvaccinated are tested twice a week. Vaccinated partners are tested routinely. Because we comply with all government regulations and mandates, you can feel safer about being around other residents and partners (employees) on campus.
- Staying social is important, so we're offering safe activities to keep you engaged and adding precautions as needed.
- We're keeping all residents informed of what's going on with the changing regulations. You can rest assured that we want all of our residents to stay as healthy and safe as possible.
I’m interested in one of your patio homes. What are they like?
Our patio homes are some of our most popular options and come in a variety of floor plans. You can get a look inside our featured home for a sampling of what we offer by clicking on the link below.
If I choose Otterbein, will I have to invest a large entrance fee or turn over my home and assets?
No! Otterbein St. Marys provides an array of payment options, including a standard month-to-month service fee with no required upfront investment. In no situation does Otterbein require you to turn over any of your existing assets, including your current home.
Does Otterbein St. Marys offer memory care?
Yes, we offer a full continuum of care at Otterbein St. Marys, including independent living, assisted living, skilled nursing, memory care, and post-acute/rehabilitation.
I don’t know anyone else at Otterbein. How can I meet people and make new friends?
You’re in luck ― there are plenty of ways to meet new people at Otterbein St. Marys. There are several groups and clubs you can join to share common interests with other residents, such as Bible study groups, bingo, and woodworking. There are also fun activities like pontoon boat rides, fishing, and more
Otterbein St. Marys is also very involved in the local community, such as collaborating with area churches and other community groups. And don’t forget about all the off-campus outings that are available, with provided transportation, such as trips to Der Dutchman restaurant, other Otterbein communities, and seasonal events.
Don R. has lived at Otterbein St. Marys for several years ― he’s seen and done a lot in that time, and he’s not about to slow down now.
At Otterbein, Don has had a hand in a little bit of everything ― woodworking, running the sound booth, volunteering, sharing goodwill gestures with staff and residents, and sitting on several resident committees over the years. He is a strong believer in lifelong learning and is constantly trying new things.
“I didn’t come to Otterbein to sit and do nothing ― I came here to be active,” said Don.
A Day in the Life
Otterbein St. Marys
Week at a Glance
Music & Memory
Snack & Chat
Oven Fried Chicken
Cabbage Rolls in Tomato Gravy
Pot Roast with Vegetables and Potatoes
Homemade Chili with Cornbread
Bruschetta Chicken with Fresh Mozzarella and Basil
Spinach Salad with Warm Bacon Dressing
Macaroni and Cheese
House-Made Hash Brown Casserole
Baked Sweet Potato with Brown Sugar and Butter
Chocolate Chip Cookie
- [VIDEO] Otterbein St. Marys: Meeting the Needs of Loved Ones
“We were so impressed with Otterbein when I first came here that I had no need to even go any further or look anywhere else.” - Janet, Otterbein St. Marys resident family member
- From Rehabilitation to Independent Living at Otterbein St. Marys: Mary’s Story
After receiving rehabilitation at Otterbein St. Marys, Mary R. moved into an independent living apartment
- A Couple’s Path From Church Camp to Otterbein St. Marys
Otterbein St. Marys couple Jim and Sandie L. met in 1963 at the very location where they have now retired. They were both counselors at Camp St. Marys, a church camp held on the grounds where Otterbein St. Marys is currently located.
How can we help?