What is Memory Care?
Memory care provides continuous support for individuals diagnosed with some form of dementia, such as Alzheimer’s disease. Specialized activities, such as reminiscence groups and music therapy, are incorporated in our customized care programs.
The atmosphere, designed to reduce stress and anxiety, promotes an active, independent lifestyle, to help minimize symptoms. During admission, defined goals are established with ongoing assessments to ensure the level of care is appropriate to meet each individual’s needs, also focusing on family education and support from admission through ongoing transitions.
At Otterbein, we value each person as an individual and recognize their different preferences and needs in order to provide a personalized memory care plan that fits them best.
Memory Care at Otterbein SeniorLife
At Otterbein’s six SeniorLife Communities and our nine SeniorLife Neighborhoods, our memory care residents enjoy an environment designed to enhance self-esteem, independence, and a warm sense of community.
Our memory care program, led by dedicated and caring, specially-trained staff members, continuously evolves based on our residents’ needs and new research – putting quality of life at the forefront of their care.
Otterbein’s memory support environments are safe and secure, but they are also comfortable and homey. There are outdoor courtyards that offer fresh air and sunshine and meaningful memory support activities to accommodate all of our residents’ interests and strengths. Our activities encourage socialization, and every day at our communities and neighborhoods incorporates art and music.
Our memory support activities include:
- Baking and cooking
- Creative arts
- Bus trips
- Reminiscence groups
- Hymn singing
- Seasonal celebrations
- Birthday parties
- Music and Memory™
- And more
Music and Memory™
Research proves that music stimulates memory, and individuals with cognitive loss can come alive when they have the opportunity to listen to their favorite songs. Through the nationally-known Music and Memory™ program — available at all 15 Otterbein locations — residents gain personalized playlists of favorite songs that help them reconnect with the world through music-triggered memories.
Music and Memory’s Proven Results
- Those who don’t talk much are more verbal.
- Those who’ve been physically inactive move around more.
- Those who have been depressed are happier.
- Personalized music offers an enjoyable, fulfilling activity for persons who are immobile or receiving ongoing treatment.
- Individuals are more engaged with those around them.
Benefits for Loved Ones
- Ability to connect in a more meaningful way with elders
- Individuals are more cooperative, attentive, and willing to accept care; their brighter moods boost care partner morale and supports person-centered care
- Sundowning (confusion and restlessness) is often reduced or eliminated
- Personalized music provides a valuable tool in the effort to reduce reliance on antipsychotic medications